[Samba] MS Access

tms3 at tms3.com tms3 at tms3.com
Thu Jan 13 07:23:48 MST 2011

> I need to have a server built and ready to install by this weekend,
> and I'm
> trying to decide whether to use the customer's copy of Windows 2000
> Server,

Seriously?
http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2010/01/14/windows-2000-server-approaching-end-of-life.aspx

> or Ubuntu or Centos. I think Ubuntu would have a newer version of
> samba.

One can always build from source.

> The problem is, for this one server, about 20 users hammer MS Access
> databases all day, and samba seems to have had issues with Access in
> the
> past. Is that still the case?

Access has issues. What version? Most problems seem to boil down to
file perms. I rarely had problems with Access files on FreeBSD/Samba
platforms.

> The old server is dying, and they own Windows 2000 Server so it won't
> cost
> them $$ to continue using the OS,
You'd best check the licensing. They most certainly don't "own" W2K
server.