[Samba] can connect to 2 samba servers by name but to one by IP only

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Thu Jan 6 06:09:21 MST 2011

2011/1/6 Gaiseric Vandal <gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com>:
> In fact this seems to work for any samba or windows
> machine on the network EXCEPT the Samba 3.4.x PDC.     It seems to work for
> Win 2003 machines, Samba 3.4.x member servers, XP machines, etc.

To analyze the problem, first put the entry for PDC1 into both LMHOSTS and
hosts files and try: net use \\pdc1.

If you still meet the 67 error, something other than name resolution will cause
this problem. Look at the Samba log and network capture.

> My understanding is that XP (and Win 2000/2003) machines are "smart" enough
> to use DNS look ups to resolve a windows "netbios" name to IP in the case
> that legacy (archaic) "Netbios" name resolution (WINS, lmhosts, broadcast)
> methods don't work.

NetBIOS name whose prefix is only #20 ,#00 (and #1C in some case) can
be resolved
by DNS.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>