[Samba] can connect to 2 samba servers by name but to one by IP only

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 05:17:07 MST 2011

Even though it is a fully virtual NIC I think the firewall (Sonicwall) still blocks Netbios broadcasts.    So as far as I can tell, using DNS is the only way a VPN client could resolve a windows machine name.

When I connect to the vpn, I can immediately use "net use \\someserver" on pretty much all the servers.  I would expect that if I am using a browser functionality to locate windows resources, I might have to wait a few minutes until this worked.

I will see if I can tdbdump the browser database files on the PDC (which should be the master browser.)     I have other machines on the network that are DC's in their own domains, that may also try to be the master browsers.  But they all point to the same WINS server (one of the samba BDC's) so I think this should not be an issue.    Generally I find that the use of WINS (and also making sure that the servers are listed in DNS) makes most issues go away.