[Samba] can connect to 2 samba servers by name but to one by IP only

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Wed Jan 5 22:06:53 MST 2011

> The XP
> VPN Clients are not using hosts or lmhosts files.  Wins is not used over the
> VPN.        All the samba and windows machines on the network are configured
> to use WINS so I don't think they would respond to netbios broadcast
> requests looking for a machine by name.

Does it not work that when a windows machine has no wins server that it
can use the master browser to resolve netbios names?  If such is the
case, then perhaps the pdc is not being listed by the master browser
that the vpn clients are consulting?
I am not familiar with the type of VPN you are working with, but I know
broadcast is a problem for the ones I have worked with.  If you have a
full virtual nic on the LAN, then this probably isn't a problem for you,
but in my experience, a vpn client cannot send a broadcast packet to a
remote LAN.  This has caused me some serious grey hairs over my time
playing with vpns and windows networking, seems a lot of things depend
on it.
just some thoughts...

Bob Miller
334-7117/660-5315