[Samba] can connect to 2 samba servers by name but to one by IP only

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 19:36:47 MST 2011

Adding pdc1 to the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) did
not make a difference.  After adding pdc1 to lmhosts,  "net use \\pdc1" did
work.  So in the case of pdc1 one, the name is being resolved as a netbios
name (i.e. via lmhosts) not a tcp/ip type name (i.e. via dns or hosts)

But then why does "net use" work with all the other windows or samba
servers?  As  far as I can tell, DNS is the only method by which the names
are being resolved.

I did notice that "nbtstat -c" shows the following

SonicWALL VPN Connection:
Node IpAddress: [x.x.x.x.] Scope Id: []

                  NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table

        Name              Type       Host Address    Life [sec]
    BDC1          <20>  UNIQUE          x.x.x.x.10        522
    BDC2          <20>  UNIQUE          x.x.x.x.11        560
    SOMEMACHINE   <20>  UNIQUE          x.x.x.x.12        597

PDC1 is not in cache-  which I guess makes sense since it is explicitly
listed in lmhosts.

The "nbtstat -r" command only shows machine on my home network, nothing on
the corporate network, so this really does indicate that there is no netbios
broadcasts going on crossing the VPN link.

Thanks