[Samba] Samba 3.5.8 on AIX 5.3 with IBM LDAP libraries

Jared Forrester jared.forrester at sasktel.sk.ca
Wed Apr 13 14:15:11 MDT 2011

Hello,

We're currently using Samba 3.5.8 with the IBM AIX supplied LDAP libraries
on AIX 5.3 (using gcc).  We were not able to compile this originally
without making the following modifications:

1. create a symlink libldap.a to libibmldapn.a in /usr/ldap/lib
2. change ber_init() to ber_init2() in the following 3 c files

                passdb/pdb_nds.c   line 234
                lib/smbldap.c          line 1533
                libads/ldap.c           line 1021

3. define LDAP_OPT_DESC in lib/smbldap.c (as 1)

This was in addition to normal things like setting flags for the compiler
and using gmake (via having /usr/linux/bin first in PATH, which is common
for building on AIX ).  Afterwards, ./configure --with-ldap=/usr/ldap and
make install worked.  Active Directory support didn't work ( configure
says missing ldap_initialize() )  but since we don't use it, we didn't
investigate further.

We were wondering if anyone else does this?  It seems that everyone ends
up installing openldap and just using that.  Things have been working well
so far with LDAP support compiled as mentioned above.  Ideally, we would
like to able to use the supplied AIX LDAP libraries without having to
modify the source code.  Is there a better method to accomplish this?  If
this is the correct method, would it be possible to have our changes
merged to the main source tree so future installs require only ./configure
... , make , make install ?  We can not allow direct access to our machine
for testing, but we do have a test machine available to test any source
changes, should that be required.

Thanks,
Jared.

NOTICE:  This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended
recipients.  If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that
disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is
strictly prohibited.  In such case, please destroy this message and notify
the sender.