[Samba] windows 7 client can't find domain controller

Albert Lund A.M.Lund at utah.edu
Wed Apr 13 12:31:05 MDT 2011

Hello all,

I've been wracking my brain for a couple days and scouring the web for
answers but I'm out of luck. I've been trying to join a Windows 7 Pro client
to a Samba 4 domain. This is using the latest alpha build from git. My DNS
server is bind9 9.7.2-P3. The OS is ubuntu server 10.04.

To the best of my abilities/knowledge I've followed the HOWTO (example
videos included) correctly. However, when I get to the point where I'm
supposed to join a client, I get the following error from windows when it
tries to join:

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
used to locate a domain controller for domain "blacksheep.test":

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.blacksheep.test

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
blacksheeptest.blacksheep.test

However no domain controllers could be contacted.

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) or (AAAA) records that map the names of the domain controllers to
their IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or
are not running.

FYI, my realm is called blacksheep.test and the NETBIOS for the test machine
(I'm using a VM) is blacksheeptest. I can ping both blacksheep.test and
blacksheeptest.blacksheep.test and get a response back.

I set the samba server to -d9 to see if the samba server detected anything.
This is what I see:

cldap netlogon query domain=blacksheep.test host=CLIENT user=(null)
version=22 guid=(null)
gendb_search_v: CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=blacksheep,DC=test
(objectClass=site) -> 1

CLIENT is the machine I'm trying to join to the domain. I also see MAILSLOT
broadcasts and it looks like netbios registration is working properly.

Any ideas why my client won't join?

Albert Lund