[Samba] clustered samba registers all non CTDB addresses at WINS server

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Apr 12 14:32:35 MDT 2011

Hi Erik,

erik bergsma wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in the first step to separate my wins/netbios/nmbd and my clustered samba
> servers i've installed the WINS feature on a windows 2k8r2 server, and set
> the "wins server = ip.adress.of.windows.server"
>
> the weird thing is: my samba 3.5.8 do not only register the public CTDB ip
> addresses specified by "cluster addresses =", but also the static
> maintenance ip's + the internal ip address of each node (direct link between
> the nodes, not reachable from outside)
>
> is this behaviour normal? and is this behaviour safe? or am i missing
> something in my smb.conf?
> i can imagine that if a netbios request comes in for my domain name, and the
> returned address is 10.0.0.1 something goes wrong....

nmbd and wins in the cluster setup is probably not the best
tested scenario...

I'd say that you are right and that we should _only_ register the
"cluster addresses" and not the other autodetected ones.
The problem is that in the cluster setup, samba needs to listen
on the wildcard interface and this defaults to registering all of
the found addresses with WINS.

I would consider the behaviour you describe a bug and think we
should fix it to only register "cluster addresses" if it is set.

Cheers - Michael