[Samba] clustered samba registers all non CTDB addresses at WINS server

erik bergsma ebergsma1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:01:58 MDT 2011

Hi all,

in the first step to separate my wins/netbios/nmbd and my clustered samba
servers i've installed the WINS feature on a windows 2k8r2 server, and set
the "wins server = ip.adress.of.windows.server"

the weird thing is: my samba 3.5.8 do not only register the public CTDB ip
addresses specified by "cluster addresses =", but also the static
maintenance ip's + the internal ip address of each node (direct link between
the nodes, not reachable from outside)

is this behaviour normal? and is this behaviour safe? or am i missing
something in my smb.conf?
i can imagine that if a netbios request comes in for my domain name, and the
returned address is 10.0.0.1 something goes wrong....

Regards,
Erik