[Samba] %a switch for windows7 und w2008 server?

"Dr. Hansjörg Maurer" hansjoerg.maurer at itsd.de
Sat Oct 23 01:18:01 MDT 2010

Hi

I have found this switch for seperating profiles in a mixed windows
version environment

You can also take full advantage of Samba's Variable Substitutions and
further separate User's profiles, such as by architecture. Using the
directive:

    * logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U\%a

will separate the user's profiles relating to each version of Windows,
such as WinXP, WinNT, etc. This is extremely helpful if you have users
that jump from computer to computer that have different versions of
Windows on them. This can solve a whole slew of problems relating to the
registry on different versions of Windows, especially when running
different version of Internet Explorer. Separating profiles in this way
can be a very powerful feature, especially when you include Folder
Redirection into the mix.

 In smb.conf (3.4.8) I found, that %a only recognizes Windows Versions
up to Vista
Are windows7 und w2008 server recognized to or stated as unknown?

      %a
           The architecture of the remote machine. It currently
recognizes Samba (Samba), the Linux CIFS file system (CIFSFS), OS/2,
(OS2), Windows for Workgroups (WfWg), Windows 9x/ME (Win95),
           Windows NT (WinNT), Windows 2000 (Win2K), Windows XP (WinXP),
Windows XP 64-bit(WinXP64), Windows 2003 including 2003R2 (Win2K3), and
Windows Vista (Vista). Anything else will be known
           as UNKNOWN.

Regards

Hansjörg