[Samba] How can I enforce quotas on roaming user profiles using samba?

Luke Hamilton graf_ignotiev at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 15:50:53 MDT 2010

I am using a custom configuration of webmin from www.turnkeylinux.org to run a
domain controller (basically Ubuntu Server 8.04/Hardy with Samba installed from
the repositories). I've set things up so that my users have roaming profiles
that they can use at any of the windows clients that are joined to the domain.

I'd like to set a disk quota for each user that the windows client would
enforce, one way or another. That is, when they login and Samba downloads the
users profile information the client, Samba would also send information about
disk quota limits. This way, if the user tries to download too many mp3s for
example, windows will complain and prevent the user from using any more space.

I've tried setting a quota on the samba server with the quotas package, but that
only creates log off problems when the user goes over their limit. I think I can
use the smbcquotas command in conjunction with windows' own quota tools, but I
don't have the foggiest notion on how I might do this.

So my question is, can I get windows to enforce quotas on a per user basis using
the samba server?