[Samba] Samba 4 in production?

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 14:53:51 MDT 2010

On 11 October 2010 22:19, Mark Rutherford <mark at lowcountrybilling.com> wrote:
>  I have read many stories and testimonials from people that are running
> Samba 4 in production.
> This encouraged me to try it out in a couple of virtual machines and, as
> expected I encountered no problems that
> I could not overcome. (mostly DNS setup issues)
>
> We are running 3.5 right now just as a plain NT4 domain controller with DRBD
> and friends.
> This setup has worked for many, many years and the possibility of gaining AD
> is very appealing.
>
> When I tested Samba 4, I joined a few Samba 3 servers to it and used
> resources from those servers without any issues.
> How are others using it in production?
> Any pitfalls to using Samba 4 in this manner?
> Anyone care to share their stories, good or bad?
>
> Thanks everyone.

I'm using it only for authentication of services on a Mac OS X server
at the moment.  No workstations, file/print sharing etc.

It was a bit of trouble getting the user accounts migrated from Open
Directory, but after that hurdle it's been very little trouble.

I'm copying samba-technical, since you've not received any other
answers on the samba list and the samba-technical list is, for now,
still the place to report success/failure/etc. with Samba 4.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>