[Samba] Enforcing filesystem permissions

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Mon Oct 4 12:54:51 MDT 2010

  Dennis,

Maybe this instead:

      inherit permissions (S)

    The permissions on new files and directories are normally governed
    by create mask
    <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#CREATEMASK>,
    directory mask
    <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#DIRECTORYMASK>, force
    create mode
    <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#FORCECREATEMODE>
    and force directory mode
    <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#FORCEDIRECTORYMODE>
    but the boolean inherit permissions parameter overrides this.

    New directories inherit the mode of the parent directory, including
    bits such as setgid.

    New files inherit their read/write bits from the parent directory.
    Their execute bits continue to be determined by map archive
    <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#MAPARCHIVE>,
    map hidden
    <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#MAPHIDDEN> and
    map system
    <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#MAPSYSTEM> as
    usual.

    Note that the setuid bit is /never/ set via inheritance (the code
    explicitly prohibits this).

    This can be particularly useful on large systems with many users,
    perhaps several thousand, to allow a single [homes] share to be used
    flexibly by each user.

    Default: //|inherit permissions|/ = |no| /

Dale