[Samba] samba replacing novell

Matthew Daubenspeck matt at oddprocess.org
Wed Nov 24 06:29:49 MST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 02:52:36PM +0200, Petre Bandac wrote:

> I have found a workaround by installing a terminal server and having the
> app work within the lan - browsing the database is ok, only when
> printing to the local printer it takes about 30-40 sec
>
> however, I would like to find out what is the cause for this behaviour
>
> as shown by testparm, wins is enabled
>
> I will try to enter the machine in /etc/hosts and see if I get some
> improvement

Is the Novell client still installed?

I have had MAJOR slowdowns when initially browsing anything on Samba, be
it printers or shares, when the Novell client is still installed and
functional. I've posted a couple of messages to list, but never really
found the solution. If I remove the Novell client, or use a machine
without it, browsing Samba is super quick and there are no issues. As
soon as that client is installed, I notice the slowdown...
--
  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://oddprocess.org

Gentoo Linux i686 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz
08:27:53 up 34 days, 16:16, 4 users, load average: 0.10, 0.05, 0.01