[Samba] samba replacing novell

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Nov 23 09:30:46 MST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 01:55:41AM +0200, Petre Bandac wrote:

> hallo
>
> I have decomissioned an old novell netware serving as fileserver for a
> foxpro app with a samba virtual freebsd machine under vmware esxi
>
> all works ok (time of response when browsing folders, throughput at
> speed tests, etc), except the following foxpro related issues which I
> could not solve in the  last week:
>
> - - when ran from LAN, the app randomly freezes from time to time

Can you get wireshark traces or debug level 10 logs of what is
going on when the app freezes ? Does it eventually display an
error message or is the client computer just frozen and needs
to be rebooted ?

> - - when ran from a remote location (connected via openvpn), the app takes
> a very long time to open, and when searching for records it takes more
> than 2-3 minutes to display the results of the query (even though other
> tests have shown the connectivity is ok and file transfer is as fast as
> the line allows) - this happens even if this workstation is the only one
> accesing the fileserver
>
> this behavior appeared only after switching from novell to samba

Again, traces of what is going on here would be needed. If the client
machine is Win7, SMB2 support (due in Samba 3.6.0) might help as
Microsoft have done lots of work on the SMB2 redirector for high
latency links.

Jeremy.