[Samba] samba replacing novell

petre at kgb.ro petre at kgb.ro
Tue Nov 23 09:05:13 MST 2010

hallo, please see answers below

> Does the application create temporary files?  Or does it try to create
> temporary files?  Can you configure the app to use the local client hard
> drive for temporary files.    I found that some MS Office Apps do funny
> things with file permissions that are more likely to show up on a Samba
> server (mapping NTFS to Unix permissions) than on a Windows file server
> (native NTFS.)

the shortcuts for the app use start in = network path and running
directory = c:\ (used for tmp files)

> What version of Novell Netware?  Were you using IPX/SPX or TCP/IP?  Where
> you using the Netware client from Novell or the one from Microsoft?

the workstations had the novell netware client installed on (version 4 if
I am not mistaking) and the server was from around '96-'99

> Are you using a UNC path (e.g. \\myserver\share1) or drive mappings to the
> network share (e.g. P:  is mapped to \\myserver\share1.)

there is a script ran from startup which states something like

net use r: \\ip.add.re.ss\share /persistent:yes /USER:\user password

I have my reasons not to have a domain deployed there

I had a windows 2003 server installed as a virtual machine and will test
tomorrow if the behaviour is the same

I would like to keep the samba deployment, though ...