[Samba] Samba for z/OS 1.10

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Mon Nov 15 16:51:58 MST 2010

Jim McDonough put forth on 11/15/2010 5:13 PM:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Volker Lendecke
> <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 02:54:48PM +0100, martin.holm at helvetia.ch wrote:
>>> is there any samba version available for download,
>>> which runs on IBM MVS, i.e. IBM z/OS 1.10 ...?
>>
>> There used to be somthing that claimed to run on MVS ages
>> (and I mean AGES, my rough guess would be 10 years) ago.
> Yep, right around 10 years ago. IIRC it was possible to build on
> OpenEdition MVS.  That was the last time I touched it.  IBM used to
> have an SMB server in zOS, though, so it wasn't a real priority.  I
> have no idea if that is still available.

Forgive me for possibly being naive, but why not just run a Linux+Samba
VM on top?  Wasn't the renaming to "Z series" and "Z/OS" part of IBM's
big virtualized Linux on mainframe push?  Lemme guess, you'd have to
spend a bunch of additional $$ on software, maybe even hardware, just to
get a Linux VM up and running?  If so, that's a shame.

--
Stan