[Samba] switching winbind's ad without reboot?

John Stile john at stilen.com
Wed Nov 10 09:43:26 MST 2010

The IT department is phasing in new Active Directory servers, during
work ours, and I need to get all my systems using winbind for
authentication to switch to the new servers, and hopefully without a
reboot.

I tried to redirect a machine currently authenticating via the current
AD to the new AD, but even after restarting all the winbind, smbd, nmbd
processes,  I see it still pointing to the old AD.

After rebooting, it points to the new server.

Trying to fool samba by adding a line to /etc/hosts didn't work either.

Is there a slick non-reboot method?

-----BEFORE CHANGE----
krb5.conf contains:
[realms]
    MY.DOMAIN.COM = {
        kdc = 192.168.0.1
        admin_server = 192.168.0.1
        default_domain = my.domain.com
    }
smb.conf  contains:
  security = ADS
  password server = ad1.my.domain.com

----AFTER CHANGE----
[realms]
    MY.DOMAIN.COM = {
        kdc = 192.168.0.2
        admin_server = 192.168.0.2
        default_domain = my.domain.com
    }
smb.conf  contains:
  security = ADS
  password server = ad2.my.domain.com

The way I know the system is pointing to the old ad server is by doing
wbinfo -g
followed by
lsof -i tcp -nP |grep winbind