[Samba] switching winbind's ad without reboot?

John Stile john at stilen.com
Wed Nov 10 13:00:50 MST 2010

I found a way to change the AD for winbind without rebooting on Debian
and Gentoo, however I wonder if this is a bug.

First I stop smbd, nmbd, windbindd if they are running.

Then I remove some files.
On Debian, I removed:
  /var/run/samba/smb_krb5/krb5.conf.MS
  /var/run/samba/gencache.tdb
On Gentoo, I removed:
  /var/cache/samba/smb_krb5/krb5.conf.MS
  /var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb

Finally I restart winbindd, and consistently see my change using:
lsof -i tcp -nP |grep winbindd

Shouldn't a config change and winbindd process restart be enough?

I would like to know more about what is really going on here.