[Samba] Samba 3.5.1 net ads join Centos 3

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu Mar 25 13:06:40 MDT 2010

I have installed Samba 3.5.1 on Centos 3 which appears to be ok except I
cannot join an AD domain.

net ads join fails with:

[2010/03/25 14:42:37.977044,  0] libads/sasl.c:820(ads_sasl_spnego_bind)
   kinit succeeded but ads_sasl_spnego_krb5_bind failed: No credentials
found with supported encryption types
Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: No credentials found
with supported encryption types

A little goggling has found that krb5 being older than at least v1.3.1
may be the cause of the problem.

(http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-February/100484.html)

Centos3 has krb5-1.2.7.

I have been unable to find newer Centos3/RHEL3 krb5 rpms. I also have
been unable to build newer krb5 rpms from el4 source rpms, or compile
krb5 from source tarballs due to e2fsprogs being too old (requires v1.33
- have 1.32).

Tried installing latest e2fsprogs but that just resulted in missing
libuuid.so.1 .... and I gave up at that point and reverted e2fsprogs
back to where it started.

Does anyone know how to get Centos3 to the point where net ads join will
succeed?

Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo

NOTE: In order to control energy costs the light at the end
of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice...