[Samba] Windows 7 + Samba 3.4.5 locking problem

Lars Bensmann lars at almosthappy.de
Fri Mar 5 18:12:16 MST 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 03:45:31PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> It's 2010.  This style of application design is archaic.  Any application of
> this nature in 2010 should be using a network database engine (Oracle,
> MSSQL, MySQL, DB2, PostgreSQL, etc) instead of shared file locking,
> especially in the medical field.

Well, on a technical level I totally agree. One might argue that the
administrative overhead is overkill for small medical pratices with just 1
to 4 stations, but it's a moot point anyway. I did not buy the software,
I'm just suffering the consequences :-) And the company that makes the
software is probably caught in compatibility hell anyway.

> Is it possible that this new version of DocComfort finally switched to a
> database server driven design, and they left the shared file access mode as
> a legacy compatibility mode for those who've not switched to the db model?
> And they fubar'd the shared file access mode of the latest version in the
> process?  Neglected it?  Etc?

No. There is no DB functionality.

> If no db engine version, then copy everything to a Win7 PC and share it.
> Configure all the PCs to access that share.  If the problem persists, the
> cause is DocComfort, not Samba.

Thanks for the hint. I should have thought about this earlier. I did copy
everything to one of the Windows 7 clients, set up a share and everything
works fine. I really don't like this as a permanent solution but at least
it's a (temporary?) workaround and it shows that it is indeed a Samba
problem.

But I have run out of ideas what to try. Thanks for any further input,
Lars

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.
  -- Ashley Montagu