[Samba] Windows 7 + Samba 3.4.5 locking problem

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Mar 5 14:45:31 MST 2010

Rune Tønnesen put forth on 3/5/2010 3:11 PM:
> Den 05-03-2010 20:42, Lars Bensmann skrev:
>> Hello,
>>
>> after having no problem with four Windows 2000 workstations and one Samba
>> 2.something server for several years in a medical practice the practice
>> software (DocComfort) dropped support for Windows 2000 beginning of this
>> year. So I bought new hardware for the workstations and servers and
>> installed from scratch. Now there are four Windows 7 Professional 32bit
>> Workstations (with UAC disabled) and one Debian Lenny Server with Samba
>> from backports.org (I started with 3.4.3 (2:3.4.3-1~bpo50+2) and just now
>> upgraded to 3.4.5 (2:3.4.5~dfsg-1~bpo50+2), but this did not make a
>> difference).

It's 2010.  This style of application design is archaic.  Any application of
this nature in 2010 should be using a network database engine (Oracle,
MSSQL, MySQL, DB2, PostgreSQL, etc) instead of shared file locking,
especially in the medical field.

Is it possible that this new version of DocComfort finally switched to a
database server driven design, and they left the shared file access mode as
a legacy compatibility mode for those who've not switched to the db model?
And they fubar'd the shared file access mode of the latest version in the
process?  Neglected it?  Etc?

If no db engine version, then copy everything to a Win7 PC and share it.
Configure all the PCs to access that share.  If the problem persists, the
cause is DocComfort, not Samba.

--
Stan