[Samba] Windows 7 + Samba 3.4.5 locking problem

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Mar 5 18:16:10 MST 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 02:12:16AM +0100, Lars Bensmann wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 03:45:31PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > It's 2010.  This style of application design is archaic.  Any application of
> > this nature in 2010 should be using a network database engine (Oracle,
> > MSSQL, MySQL, DB2, PostgreSQL, etc) instead of shared file locking,
> > especially in the medical field.
>
> Well, on a technical level I totally agree. One might argue that the
> administrative overhead is overkill for small medical pratices with just 1
> to 4 stations, but it's a moot point anyway. I did not buy the software,
> I'm just suffering the consequences :-) And the company that makes the
> software is probably caught in compatibility hell anyway.
>
> > Is it possible that this new version of DocComfort finally switched to a
> > database server driven design, and they left the shared file access mode as
> > a legacy compatibility mode for those who've not switched to the db model?
> > And they fubar'd the shared file access mode of the latest version in the
> > process?  Neglected it?  Etc?
>
> No. There is no DB functionality.
>
> > If no db engine version, then copy everything to a Win7 PC and share it.
> > Configure all the PCs to access that share.  If the problem persists, the
> > cause is DocComfort, not Samba.
>
> Thanks for the hint. I should have thought about this earlier. I did copy
> everything to one of the Windows 7 clients, set up a share and everything
> works fine. I really don't like this as a permanent solution but at least
> it's a (temporary?) workaround and it shows that it is indeed a Samba
> problem.
>
> But I have run out of ideas what to try. Thanks for any further input,

Did you try setting:

kernel oplocks = no
oplocks = no
level2 oplocks = no
posix locking = no

on that share ? This will leave you with only Samba share mode
and byte range locking (no mapping down to the underlying
system) - which should behave identically to Windows.

Remeber to restart Samba before testing.

Jeremy.