[Samba] Samba packages for debian squeeze

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Tue Jun 15 14:29:28 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Christian PERRIER <bubulle at debian.org>wrote:

> Quoting Matthew Delves (m.delves at ballarat.edu.au):
> > Hey all,
> > I'm trying to hook a debian squeeze server up to a windows active
> directory domain, though the packages provided with Debian Squeeze don't
> have the net command. Is there a package available that I can use to install
> the net command from?
>
> net (indeed /usr/bin/net.samba3, /usr/bin/net being provided through
> Debian alternatives system) is included in Debian's samba-common-bin
> package. This package is recommended by samba-common, so a standard
> Debian install with the "samba" binary package should have it.
>
> If you don't have it installed, this is probably because the "install
> Recommends" option of apt ('APT::Install-Recommends "false";' in
> /etc/apt/apt.conf)

I have had 'net' not correctly registered on some squeeze machines. Since I
don't use the net command often, I just run net.samba3. I'm sure you could
do an `update-alternatives --config net` as root and choose to use
net.samba3 to restore the use of just 'net'.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University