[Samba] Samba packages for debian squeeze

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Tue Jun 15 14:43:46 MDT 2010

Quoting Robert LeBlanc (robert at leblancnet.us):

> I have had 'net' not correctly registered on some squeeze machines. Since I
> don't use the net command often, I just run net.samba3. I'm sure you could
> do an `update-alternatives --config net` as root and choose to use
> net.samba3 to restore the use of just 'net'.

Thanks for your input, Robert.

The command that's run in samba-common-bin's postinst script is:

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/net net /usr/bin/net.samba3 10 \
        --slave /usr/share/man/man8/net.8.gz net.8.gz /usr/share/man/man8/net.samba3.8.gz

It's surprising to hear that the "net" alternative wasn't properly
registered after installing samba-common-bin. More details about this
would be in any case appreciated. And a reproducible test case is
certainly worth a bug report in Debian against samba-common-bin.