[Samba] how to set homeDirectory and loginShell from cli

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Sun Jun 13 19:12:28 MDT 2010

Am Sonntag 13 Juni 2010 22:39:05 schrieb Jelle de Jong:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am trying to set the homeDirectory and loginShel of my users in the
> samba user database from the command line interface (no webgui stuff)
>
> See the attachment for the smb.conf
>
> The samba users are in a ldapsam:editposix openldap database. They
> show with getent passwd and getent group or ldapsearch -x.
>
> # both do not work
> usermod --shell /bin/bash username
> usermod --home /home/samba/username/ username
>
> # both show no option to set homeDirectory or loginShell
> pdbedit -u username
> net rpc user ?
>
> Can somebody help me with the correct command line commands to set the
> homeDirectory and loginShell for my samba user database?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Jelle de Jong

when you run
   testparm -vs 2>&1 | grep template

you'll notice something like:
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        template shell = /bin/false

Both are [global] settings in smb.conf - i.e. you can set
        template shell = /bin/bash

See also 'man smb.conf'.
(Also read 'man idmap_ad' for special cases with that idmap backend.)

Cheers, Günter