[Samba] how to set homeDirectory and loginShell from cli

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Mon Jun 14 01:22:12 MDT 2010

Hi Günter,

Günter Kukkukk wrote, on 14-06-10 03:12:
> when you run
>    testparm -vs 2>&1 | grep template
>
> you'll notice something like:
>         template homedir = /home/%D/%U
>         template shell = /bin/false
>
> Both are [global] settings in smb.conf - i.e. you can set
>         template shell = /bin/bash
>
> See also 'man smb.conf'.
> (Also read 'man idmap_ad' for special cases with that idmap backend.)

Thank you for the information, the template shell and templete homedir
work fine for new users. However how can I set them for already
created users?

winbindd is always showing a lot of warnings so i am not complete sure
everything is correct, but samba seems functional and preforming correct.

I always expected usermod should just work but as showed in the
previous mail this is failing.

Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,

Jelle de Jong