[Samba] how to set homeDirectory and loginShell from cli

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Sun Jun 13 14:39:05 MDT 2010

Hello everybody,

I am trying to set the homeDirectory and loginShel of my users in the
samba user database from the command line interface (no webgui stuff)

See the attachment for the smb.conf

The samba users are in a ldapsam:editposix openldap database. They
show with getent passwd and getent group or ldapsearch -x.

# both do not work
usermod --shell /bin/bash username
usermod --home /home/samba/username/ username

# both show no option to set homeDirectory or loginShell
pdbedit -u username
net rpc user ?

Can somebody help me with the correct command line commands to set the
homeDirectory and loginShell for my samba user database?

Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,

Jelle de Jong