[Samba] Windows 7 Home to Ubuntu 10.4 Samba 3.4.7 Access denied

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Tue Jun 8 10:28:10 MDT 2010

Quoting Guy Rouillier (guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com):

> Thank you *very* much.  That was the problem. Windows 7 now works
> with security=user.  Ugh.  That entry was left over from the initial
> smb.conf that Samba provided upon install.  I left it in case I

Hmmm. If Ubuntu default smb.conf includes "valid users = %S" *in the
[global] section*, this is definitely a bug. However, I really wonder
how it was introduced as the Debian package only has it in [homes].

So, indeed, I doubt this entry is a leftover from the original genuine
install of Ubuntu's samba package.