[Samba] Windows 7 Home to Ubuntu 10.4 Samba 3.4.7 Access denied
guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com
Tue Jun 8 00:37:17 MDT 2010
On 6/7/2010 1:04 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Guy Rouillier (guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com):
>> I have spent many hours researching and trying many different
>> things, starting with this:
>> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7. However, I still cannot
>> get Windows 7 Home Premium to connect to a Samba share using
>> user-based security. XP works fine. I keep getting access denied.
>> Just this evening, I finally tried share level security, and both XP
>> and 7 can connect to that, so I'm using that for now.
> BTW, this "valid users = %S" thing shoul dbe removed from your [global] section.
> "valid users" is a share-level setting and %S is meant to be replace
> by the share name.
> IMHO, having it in the [global] section can't do anything good. At
> best, it is just useless. At worse, this could be the cause of some
> problems. Not yours, probably as it is overriden by the "valid users =
> guy" setting in [data]....but I would suggest dropping settings that
> are piled up in smb.conf *unless* you *know* that there is a need for
Thank you *very* much. That was the problem. Windows 7 now works with
security=user. Ugh. That entry was left over from the initial smb.conf
that Samba provided upon install. I left it in case I wanted to do
something with home directories later. Since I turned off user shares,
I thought that entry would be harmless (though as you say, also
useless.) Turns out I was wrong.
One unrelated (minor) oddity I stumbled across while trying to figure
this out has to do with wildcard expansion. My clients are mainly
Windows boxes. I get the following (N: is the Samba share on the Ubuntu
Volume in drive N is data
Volume Serial Number is 0160-027E
Directory of N:\util
04/26/2002 02:44 PM 66 authenejbcp.bat
05/28/2010 10:40 PM 46,899,200 ActivePython-220.127.116.11-win32-x86.msi
11/27/2009 04:49 AM 24,884,830
05/27/2010 03:26 PM 18,941,656
4 File(s) 90,725,752 bytes
0 Dir(s) 534,097,600,512 bytes free
I don't know why it thinks authenejbcp.bat begins with "ac". If I do
"dir act*" it only shows the 3 Active* files; if I do "dir au*" it only
shows me files beginning with au, including authenejbcp.bat above.
BTW, this is a fresh Ubuntu install - no previous version.
More information about the samba