[Samba] Windows 7 Home to Ubuntu 10.4 Samba 3.4.7 Access denied

Guy Rouillier guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com
Tue Jun 8 00:37:17 MDT 2010

On 6/7/2010 1:04 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Guy Rouillier (guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com):
>> I have spent many hours researching and trying many different
>> things, starting with this:
>> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7.  However, I still cannot
>> get Windows 7 Home Premium to connect to a Samba share using
>> user-based security.  XP works fine. I keep getting access denied.
>> Just this evening, I finally tried share level security, and both XP
>> and 7 can connect to that, so I'm using that for now.

> BTW, this "valid users = %S" thing shoul dbe removed from your [global] section.
> "valid users" is a share-level setting and %S is meant to be replace
> by the share name.
>
> IMHO, having it in the [global] section can't do anything good. At
> best, it is just useless. At worse, this could be the cause of some
> problems. Not yours, probably as it is overriden by the "valid users =
> guy" setting in [data]....but I would suggest dropping settings that
> are piled up in smb.conf *unless* you *know* that there is a need for
> them.

Thank you *very* much.  That was the problem. Windows 7 now works with
security=user.  Ugh.  That entry was left over from the initial smb.conf
that Samba provided upon install.  I left it in case I wanted to do
something with home directories later.  Since I turned off user shares,
I thought that entry would be harmless (though as you say, also
useless.)  Turns out I was wrong.

One unrelated (minor) oddity I stumbled across while trying to figure
this out has to do with wildcard expansion.  My clients are mainly
Windows boxes.  I get the following (N: is the Samba share on the Ubuntu
box):

N:\util>dir ac*
  Volume in drive N is data
  Volume Serial Number is 0160-027E

  Directory of N:\util

04/26/2002  02:44 PM                66 authenejbcp.bat
05/28/2010  10:40 PM        46,899,200 ActivePython-2.6.5.12-win32-x86.msi
11/27/2009  04:49 AM        24,884,830
ActiveTcl8.6.0.0b2.291226-win32-ix86-thre
aded.exe
05/27/2010  03:26 PM        18,941,656
ActivePerl-5.10.1.1007-MSWin32-x86-291969
.msi
                4 File(s)     90,725,752 bytes
                0 Dir(s)  534,097,600,512 bytes free

I don't know why it thinks authenejbcp.bat begins with "ac".  If I do
"dir act*" it only shows the 3 Active* files; if I do "dir au*" it only
shows me files beginning with au, including authenejbcp.bat above.

BTW, this is a fresh Ubuntu install - no previous version.

--
Guy Rouillier