[Samba] Windows 7 Home to Ubuntu 10.4 Samba 3.4.7 Access denied

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Mon Jun 7 11:04:16 MDT 2010

Quoting Guy Rouillier (guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com):
> I have spent many hours researching and trying many different
> things, starting with this:
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7.  However, I still cannot
> get Windows 7 Home Premium to connect to a Samba share using
> user-based security.  XP works fine. I keep getting access denied.
> Just this evening, I finally tried share level security, and both XP
> and 7 can connect to that, so I'm using that for now.

A good way to get some help could be by sending some debug material,
such as logs obtained by setting "log level = 3" and look in
/var/log/samba files?

Has the Ubuntu box been upgraded from a situation where it was working
well, with an older version of samba?

BTW, this "valid users = %S" thing shoul dbe removed from your [global] section.
"valid users" is a share-level setting and %S is meant to be replace
by the share name.

IMHO, having it in the [global] section can't do anything good. At
best, it is just useless. At worse, this could be the cause of some
problems. Not yours, probably as it is overriden by the "valid users =
guy" setting in [data]....but I would suggest dropping settings that
are piled up in smb.conf *unless* you *know* that there is a need for
them.