[Samba] Windows 7 Home to Ubuntu 10.4 Samba 3.4.7 Access denied

Guy Rouillier guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com
Sun Jun 6 23:12:52 MDT 2010

I have spent many hours researching and trying many different things,
starting with this: http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7.  However,
I still cannot get Windows 7 Home Premium to connect to a Samba share
using user-based security.  XP works fine. I keep getting access denied.
  Just this evening, I finally tried share level security, and both XP
and 7 can connect to that, so I'm using that for now.

I actually found one setting in smb.conf that does allow Win 7 to
connect using user-based security:

protocol = LANMAN2

But this causes more issues than it solves. With that set, *both* my XP
and Win7 boxes behave very strangely (and wrongly), e.g., with the
following 3 files on the Ubuntu box:

ActivePerl-5.10.1.1007-MSWin32-x86-291969.msi
ActivePython-2.6.5.12-win32-x86.msi
ActiveTcl8.6.0.0b2.291226-win32-ix86-threaded.exe

from either Win box, typing "a" or "A" and hitting the tab key just
produces a beep. Typing "dir A*" lists one file and then "file not
found". So, using that protocol is not an option.

The Ubuntu box is intended as a home-grown NAS, exporting a single
share.  So I'm not using domain logons and I have browse = no.  After
running through testparm, my smb.conf file looks like this:

[global]
         workgroup = HOME
         server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
         interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8, eth0
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         map to guest = Bad User
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         pam password change = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
         unix password sync = Yes
         syslog = 0
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 1000
         load printers = No
         dns proxy = No
         usershare max shares = 0
         valid users = %S

[data]
         comment = Samba server's /data directory
         path = /data
         valid users = guyr
         read only = No
         locking = No

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier