[Samba] Installation problem

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Sat Jun 5 05:40:00 MDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Miha Krajnc <miha.krajnc.mb at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu server. Here is what i get when installing samba with
> sudo
> aptitude install samba: LINK <http://stef.si/samba.txt> Also, if i do
> /etc/init.d/samba start, it puts out "sudo: /etc/init.d/samba: command not
> found". No i have not installed swat yet, i first want to get just the
> samba
> part working. And dpkg -l samba puts this out...
>
> Any other ideas? I tried everything i know and i dont know what to do
> anymore...

The command you want is dpkg -L samba

You may have stumbled on this bug/feature:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/312449

I would run the following commands to clear everything out and start again:
sudo apt-get --purge remove samba-common
sudo apt-get install samba

Once complete go to the /etc/samba and check the relevant config file
exists.

I've just tested all of this now and it works, so it shouldn't be an Ubuntu
10.04 packaging problem.

David