[Samba] Installation problem

Miha Krajnc miha.krajnc.mb at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 03:21:04 MDT 2010

I am using Ubuntu server. Here is what i get when installing samba with sudo
aptitude install samba: LINK <http://stef.si/samba.txt> Also, if i do
/etc/init.d/samba start, it puts out "sudo: /etc/init.d/samba: command not
found". No i have not installed swat yet, i first want to get just the samba
part working. And dpkg -l samba puts this out:

---------------------
sudo dpkg -l samba

Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                Version             Description
+++-===================-===================-======================================================
ii  samba               2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubunt SMB/CIFS file, print, and login
server for Unix
--------------------

Any other ideas? I tried everything i know and i dont know what to do
anymore...

2010/6/5 Alex Perez <quimicefa at gmail.com>

> You can check wahat files are included in the deb package with
>
> sudo dpkg -l samba
>
> maybe the config is in /etc/smb.conf or so.
>
> 2010/6/4 Gary Dale <garydale at rogers.com>
>
> > On 04/06/10 03:44 PM, Miha Krajnc wrote:
> >
> >> Hey guys,
> >> i installed samba on my Ubuntu 10.04 machine (sudo apt-get install
> samba)
> >> and it didnt create any config files. There is no /etc/samba or
> >> /usr/local/samba. I dont realy know what to do.... The samba server
> fails
> >> start and i cant connect to the machine over my network. Anyone know
> what
> >> should do? I tried purging / reinstalling (apt-get and aptitude), with
> no
> >> success.
> >>

> > Are you using Ubuntu server or desktop?
> >
> > What messages do you get when you do "aptitude install samba" (after
> > purging it, of course)?
> >
> > What happens if you do "/etc/init.d/samba start"?
> >
> > Also, have you tried installing SWAT? I find it very useful for
> configuring
> > servers.
> >
> > --
> >

> --
> 3rd Law of Computing:
> Anything that can go wrSegmentation fault -- core dumped.
> --

Lep pozdrav, Miha Krajnc.

--
Lep pozdrav, Miha Krajnc.