[Samba] Samba and ZFS

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 07:44:22 MDT 2010

Solaris 10 includes samba 3.0.x with zfs support.   Sun backported zfs
modules from newer sun releases.    If you were to download samba from
www.samba.org you would have to go with 3.4 or 3.5 for the zfs module.
In the short term, assuming you don't have Vista or Windows 7 clients
and aren't doing domain trusts the Sun bundled version of Samba should
meet your needs.

I did have some issues when switching from UFS to ZFS.  ZFS ACL model is
a lot more in line with Windows than UFS ACL's were.   With UFS,  it
looked like potential mismatches between Windows and UFS acl's were
ignored.  With ZFS, you are more likely to run into permissions being
enforced inappropriately-  especially with MS Office documents.    There
are various posts in this forum on Solaris 10 (some from me) that
address this.

You may want to set samba share parameters to include

        vfs objects = zfsacl
        nfs4: mode = special
         nfs4:acedup = merge
         nfs4:chown = yes
         zfsacl: acesort = dontcare

You may also need to set  ZFS permissions to allow the user to
read/write the following

a = read_attributes
R = read_xattr (exended attibutes)
c = read_acl

Although you can also set permissions via windows.    You also want to
make sure that setting a file under solaris with  e.g. "660" (ie. user
and group can read and write but no one else can ) doesn't end up being
interpreted by windows clients as "deny access to everyone even despite
rights granted to user or group."

I don't actually do quota checking in Windows.   Free space info seems
OK.  But I have several servers with autofs and symlinks under the samba
shared directories so I don't always expect samba directory info to be
correct.    So this may be a cop out but you may need to setup a test
machine to verify for yourself.

There are a lot of features in ZFS that are big improvements over
UFS.    Especially if you have RAID5 volumes-  those are really easy to
destroy in UFS if you loose your raid configuration info on the server.