[Samba] Samba and ZFS

Martin Rootes M.J.Rootes at shu.ac.uk
Wed Aug 4 03:54:44 MDT 2010

Hi,

    I've recently moved our student fileserver from a Solaris 10 server
that was using UFS filesytems to a new Sun Cluster. As part of the move
I decided to employ ZFS for the filesystem so that I could take
advantage of some of ZFS's features. However, it now seems that windows
does not report the amount of space that the user is actually using, or
the amount of quota left, instead it reports the total amount of space
in use and free on the total filesystem. I'm currently running and
exceptionally old version of Samba (<3 !) and have been planning to
upgrade to the latest version of 3 prior to the start of term. However,
I'm concerned that this may be an inherant issue with Samba and ZFS.
Will any of the latest versions of Samba correctly report a users usage
and free space based on their quota or am I going to have to look at
moving all the data back to UFS to get quota reporting working again?

    Martin.