[Samba] smbclient -M

Lucio Crusca lucio at sulweb.org
Mon Sep 14 03:51:16 MDT 2009

Marcello Romani wrote:

> Hallo,
>     I can confirm that if the Messenger service is not running on the
> target machine, then NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME error is returned by
> smbclient -M
> If the messenger service is running, echo "message" | smbclient -M
> <machine-name> works instead.

Thank you very much, I'm quite surprised the messenger service is not
running on the clients of that LAN, but I take it and check ASAP.

However the smbclient manpage is misleading, it says:
"If they are not running WinPopup the message will be lost, and no error
message will occur".

So is this a documentation bug or a bug in smbclient code?

Assuming a documentation bug, I think there's a bug in the code anyway,
because NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME is not the most obvious error message
smbclient could give in that case...

--
Virtual Bit di Lucio Crusca
http://www.virtual-bit.com