[Samba] smbclient -M

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Wed Sep 16 18:15:05 MDT 2009

> Thank you very much, I'm quite surprised the messenger service is not
> running on the clients of that LAN, but I take it and check ASAP.

The service is turned off on all our PCs, so I'm not sure if that's just
our environment or the default.  Since there's no authentication it
could cause a lot of mischief if left enabled.

> However the smbclient manpage is misleading, it says:
> "If they are not running WinPopup the message will be lost, and no error
> message will occur".

This is a reference to Win9x which had to be running the WinPopup.exe
program to receive messages.  I'm not sure how this relates to the new
Messenger service, but evidently these days it can tell if the message
has been received or not.

> Assuming a documentation bug, I think there's a bug in the code anyway,
> because NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME is not the most obvious error message
> smbclient could give in that case...

True, but then again it depends what is causing the problem.  It may be
obvious once you understand how the protocol works ;-)  You could always
submit a patch to smbclient to pick up that error and display a more
helpful suggestion!

Cheers,
Adam.