[Samba] Question regarding access to shares from LOCAL administrator account

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Wed Sep 2 22:30:54 MDT 2009

On 3/09/2009 11:26 AM, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> How do I give access to shares from the LOCAL administrator account to a share(s) on the samba server?
> (workstation is domain member, without the need to specify a password).

I don't believe this is possible. The local administrator does not
necessarily have a fixed username or password and I don't think the
domain controller can see the SIDs used on the client for local users.
> I can do it the other way around i.e. mapping a local group to a group
> on the server, but for one share only I need to have access for the local
> administrator to the share on the server.

Are you sure you can't do it the normal way? Create a domain user and
add them to the local administrators group on each PC? They wouldn't
have to be domain admins if you didn't want to.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>