[Samba] Question regarding access to shares from LOCALadministrator account

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 3 04:55:00 MDT 2009

"Jobst Schmalenbach" <jobst at barrett.com.au> wrote in message
news:20090903032607.GA4803 at senna.barrett.com.au...

> Hi.
>
> How do I give access to shares from the LOCAL administrator account to a
share(s) on the samba server?
> (workstation is domain member, without the need to specify a password).
>
> -------------------------- smb.conf
>   domain logons = Yes
>   os level = 200
>   domain master = Yes
>   security = user
> --------------------------
>
> I have read chapters 12,13,15 but there seems to be no way I can put the
> "local administrator" into /etc/group nor mapping it via "net groupmap".
> I can do it the other way around i.e. mapping a local group to a group
> on the server, but for one share only I need to have access for the local
> administrator to the share on the server.
>

> Jobst

I hope I understand your question.  I think you want the local administrator
on a workstation to access a share on a server.

The local administrator account on a workstation exists only on that
workstation.  It cannot access shares on another machine.

This is so with Samba and Windows.

I would do the following:

Create a domain user account

Add it to the local administrator's group on the workstation

Grant it access to the share on the Samba server