[Samba] Simple CIFS Linux permission

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Wed Sep 2 21:03:17 MDT 2009

Willem P. Botha wrote:
>> OK. So now try removing the credentials entirely. Also, set the log
>> level in smb.conf to 10 and restart it. Then connect from the command
>> line (as root) using -o username=fileserver,domain=....
>>
>> See if you get an error message and also check the logs.
>>

> OK, first off, no matter what I do, I have to provide a password... or
> else I can't connect. Regardless if I add a domain or not. The security
> is set to user level, so this is what I think should happen...or am I
> wrong?

Yes. I just don't enter passwords in a command. Let the program prompt
you for it.

> Log level 10 is Crazy man... :-O
>
> If I give the password, then it connects fine. The log file said :
> connecting to <service> initially as fileserver(gid uid pid)....
>
> if I unmount the service the log file also response with a connection
> closed..
>
> So it is allowing me to connect no problem, but still the problem is
> that the files on the share, is mapped to my local user-list, so Samba
> is not actually giving me any error.
> When I try to copy a file on this share, the log file does nothing !
>
> It seems my local machine is preventing this from happening, not samba.
> It seems to figure out that the uid and gid for the remote folder is set
> to something else than the current user, and thus preventing me from
> writing to this service.
>
> The remote machine provides me a folder with write access for uid=501
> and gid=501
>
> The local machine sees a folder with write access for uid=501,gid=501
> My current user is uid=503, hence the permission denied.
>
> My problem is not the connection.. it's writing files. Still I am lost
> at how to map the remote uid to the local uid, or the authenticated
> user..??
Have you tried connecting as your user account and letting the force
user in smb.conf do its work? When your Windows clients connect, they
are using their own ids and that is working. Why are you doing it
differently for Linux?