[Samba] 1MB/s gigabit transfers on dell poweredge

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 18:33:39 GMT 2009

> Now, if its not asking for too much, can you let me know
> 1. the network chipsets used on your server and client

Main servers
fileserv ~ # lspci | grep Giga
02:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
02:09.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)

dev6 ~ # lspci | grep Giga
02:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
02:09.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)

datastore0 ~ # lspci | grep net
00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:09.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)

datastore1 ~ # lspci | grep net
00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:09.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)

datastore2 ~ # lspci | grep net
00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:09.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)

datastore3 ~ # lspci | grep net
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit
Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)

Other servers:
ASUS M2N

clients (mostly XP SP3)
mostly nforce chipset

ASUS M2N / M3N

> 2. which version of samba you are using
3.0.34 on all samba servers except 1 where I am testing 3.3.2. I am
the only person who uses the samba share on that box so I can break it
without consequences.

> 3. What is your base server os?
gentoo on all linux machines (30+) except for a few workstations that
we had to use the vendor's choice.

mostly running 2.6.26 openvz kernels and xfs filesystems for data with
reiserfs for os. The systems all are using software raid5 or raid6
with 6 to 10 sata drives in each array. The slowest (10 x 250GB sata1
raid6 on fileserver) reads at 150MB/s while the fastest on datastore2
reads at 300MB/s and writes at nearly 200MB/s.

> 4. Is your samba installed from precompiled binaries for the system or
> have you compiled from source?
Everything is compiled from source with gentoo.

> 5. You mention that your server is a few years old. However how old is the
> samba setup? (maybe I need to downgrade to lower version)

We started in 2000  with samba. I am not sure if that was samba 2 or 3
using ldap from the start. The samba setup has been upgraded ever
since. At first we were using redhat (6?) but we moved on to gentoo in
2004 and all has been well ever since.

> Thanks a million for the reply.

What are you using for authentication? I have seen this play a role in
performance specifically I have 3 ldap servers now. They run as guests
under openvz on a few of our servers.

John