[Samba] 1MB/s gigabit transfers on dell poweredge

godwin at acp-online.co.uk godwin at acp-online.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 18:14:10 GMT 2009

Thanks John for the info.

My installation is at a client who does a lot of work in the graphics and
media domain and the average size of files is in gigabytes as most of the
files are videos.

The servers are branded dell poweredge with xeon processor and 4 gig ram.
So I gather I can expect the same kind of performance too; provided I find
out what's causing the bottleneck.

Now, if its not asking for too much, can you let me know
1. the network chipsets used on your server and client
2. which version of samba you are using
3. What is your base server os?
4. Is your samba installed from precompiled binaries for the system or
have you compiled from source?
5. You mention that your server is a few years old. However how old is the
samba setup? (maybe I need to downgrade to lower version)

Thanks a million for the reply.