[Samba] 1MB/s gigabit transfers on dell poweredge

godwin at acp-online.co.uk godwin at acp-online.co.uk
Sat Mar 14 01:23:06 GMT 2009

John, thanks once again for the quick reply.

I am using openldap for authentication. The ldap server's on the same
system so theres no overhead added by authenticaion over a network link.

I am using debian etch r5 as the base os. I am not sure of the samba
version right now. I will have to  check that up onsite. But I think the
most probable cause is the samba version. I am also going to try
connecting the client and server directly without a switch in between.

Btw, in the last email I forgot to ask which network switch you are using.
I guess that would make quite a difference on gigabit ethernet. Have you
enabled jumbo frames on the NIC's. Any specific optimisations in the
network setup or in samba conf?

I am eager to understand how you are getting 50MB/s on samba transfers as
considering the overheads added by the samba protocol, you should be
getting 60-75 MB/s using scp/rsync/nfs.

I am also working on a COTS storage solution using lustre and Samba CTDB.
The aim is to provide 1000MB/s to clients (100MB/s to each client) so they
can edit video online. The solution also needs to be scalable in terms of
IO and storage capacity and built out of open source components and COTS
so there is no vendor lock in. Initial tests on lustre using standard dell
desktop hw are very good. However I need samba ctdb to communicate with
the clients as they are Apple macs. I havent reached samba ctdb
configuration yet. But the gigabit ethernet issue had me scared till I
received your reply. Now I see a lot of hope ;-).

Once again thanks for your help and do let me know if I can reciprocate
your kindness.

Cheers,
Godwin Monis