[Samba] time sync issue

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Fri Jan 16 08:01:00 GMT 2009

Hallo, wes,

Du (samba) meintest am 14.01.09:

> I am running a Samba domain controller with LDAP integration. I have
> at least some workstations which do not seem to be syncing the time
> with the DC at all.

[...]

One way: group policies. On each Client.

Another way:
Batch "settime.bat" on each client:

@echo off
set Server=<IP-address>
ping -n 1 -w 1 %Server% | find "(0%"
if errorlevel 0 net time %Server% /set /yes

And this batch is run  as an administrator task with the option "run
when the computer starts".
You have to define this task on each client, too.

Calling an NTP server also needs changes on every client.
And it's not related to Samba.

It has to be run as a service, and I couldn't manage it correctly - my
W2000 clients called the predefined NTP servers (NIST and MS) sometimes
instead of my Samba server's NTP server, and that doesn't work in a LAN
where a router doesn't allow NTP calls into the WAN.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut