[Samba] Re: time sync issue

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Tue Jan 20 01:56:11 GMT 2009

wes wrote:
> I am running a Samba domain controller with LDAP integration. I have at
> least some workstations which do not seem to be syncing the time with the DC
> at all. My first instinct is to simply set the time with a logon script, but
> of course that runs as the user, whom does not have permission to set the
> system time. I would prefer to get it working right, to where the system
> syncs its time with the time server runnong in the DC.
>
> I have tried to find the cause. net time \\dc1 works fine. There are no
> entries in the event log regarding a failure to sync with the time server.
> What can I do to find out why it's not syncing?

Although the literature suggests that the workstations should be able to find the
time server automatically since it is running on the domain controller, that does not
appear to be true.  The error message received is

"Member of an NT4 domain. Cannot synchronize."

So maybe it only works in AD style domains, not NT4 style domains.

Run this little batch file once on your XP workstations to get them syncing with your
ntp server on your local network.  The ntp server may or may not be the samba server.
  Of course, you have to edit the IP address of your ntp server.

rem - filename XPtime.bat
rem - this works for windows xp to set up syncing with our ntp time server
net time /setsntp:192.168.254.35
net stop w32time
net start w32time

Note that the procedure is different for Win2000 workstations.  Let me know if you
need that too.

Mark Nienberg