[Samba] File locking problem involving Samba, Clearcase, and Cygwin

Brian Cowan brcowan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 05:00:26 GMT 2009

Kathy wrote:
>> [views]
>>        comment = Flint views
>>        path = /view
>>        read list = @cozcmusr, aramac
>>        write list = @cozcmusr
>>        read only = No

Kathy, I work in ClearCase support, and this construct is not supported
by IBM. It's not a tested configuration. There is a mechanism --
export_mvfs -- that allows hosts that do not have ClearCase installed to
access files in dynamic views via NFS. You are trying to accomplish the
same thing by sharing the MVFS root (/view -- translation for non-CC
people: Think "path=/net"). Is there a pressing reason for doing this?
Wouldn't it be simpler to install ClearCase on the PC's and access the
files through the Windows-Native MVFS (which in turn would access the
VOBs on your VOB server)?

That being said, I doubt that it's the MVFS confusing Samba, but it is
possible. If this turns out to be a load-related issue, the MVFS may
show this issue more often because it does a lot more under the hood
than most filesystems (version selection, getting cleartext constructed,
etc). I would recommend testing to see if you can make the same thing
happen with files in:
1) A local filesystem
2) a remote NFS-mounted filesystem.

You may need to increase the load on the Samba server 2-fold or more to
get it to "fall over" in the same way, but definitely try. If so, then
ClearCase has been eliminated from the picture and you can start trying
various debugging tricks to see why Samba thinks some users have oplocks
when they shouldn't.

By the way, I suspect that you have a case open with us about this
issue, if so, can you send me the PMR number?