[Samba] Question about how to reduce samba 3.3.3 install size or why it has been increased dramatically from 3.0.34 to 3.3.3

Sun Apr 19 07:16:10 GMT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 03:06:36AM +0200, votdev at gmx.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can anyone give me some tips why the file size of various samba
> executables has been increased dramatically from 3.0.34 to 3.3.3 (e.g.
> smbd  3.5MB -> ~7MB) The reason is that it is necessary for our project
> to keep the size as small as possible. You can have a look into the
> makefile here:
> http://freenas.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freenas/experimental/samba3/Makefile?revision=4553&view=markup
>
> Any tip would be great. Maybe i did not realize a magic configure switch???

Probably a good piece of that is the autogenerated RPC
marshalling in librpc/gen_ndr/ndr_*.c. This is required for
quite a few of the binaries, so it might be possible to put
those into a shared library and so reduce the overall size
of the binaries. There's no magic switch for this however,
sorry.

Volker