[Samba] Question about how to reduce samba 3.3.3 install size or why it has been increased dramatically from 3.0.34 to 3.3.3

votdev at gmx.de votdev at gmx.de
Sun Apr 19 17:45:30 GMT 2009

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 03:06:36AM +0200, votdev at gmx.de wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> can anyone give me some tips why the file size of various samba
>> executables has been increased dramatically from 3.0.34 to 3.3.3 (e.g.
>> smbd  3.5MB -> ~7MB) The reason is that it is necessary for our project
>> to keep the size as small as possible. You can have a look into the
>> makefile here:
>> http://freenas.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freenas/experimental/samba3/Makefile?revision=4553&view=markup
>>
>> Any tip would be great. Maybe i did not realize a magic configure switch???
>>

> Probably a good piece of that is the autogenerated RPC
> marshalling in librpc/gen_ndr/ndr_*.c. This is required for
> quite a few of the binaries, so it might be possible to put
> those into a shared library and so reduce the overall size
> of the binaries. There's no magic switch for this however,
> sorry.
>
> Volker

Is it possible that there are added features in 3.3.3 automatically that
aren't available in 3.0.34? Maybe i can switch them off? I compared the
configure scripts of both versions but did not see great differences.
I can't understand what blows up the code so much, was there a great
change in the code base of 3.2.x and 3.3.x?

Regards
Volker