[Samba] Which security to use? Domain or ADS?

Wed Sep 24 20:08:52 GMT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 03:50:03PM -0400, Poitras  François-Joseph wrote:
> I've got a working scenario of samba in "server" security.
> I need to replace the server used to authenticate so I'd
> like to use the momentum and switch the security method to
> something better (domain or ads).  I want to avoid having
> my SAMBA server join my (Active Directory) domain if at
> all possible.  Am I asking the impossible?  Can someone
> recommend the best or most appropriate method to use?
> I've tried the domain security without success so far.
> I've also looked at the ADS security but the doc I'm
> seeing includes joining my server in the domain for it to
> work...

For both "security=domain" and "security=ads" it is
necessary to join the computer to the domain.
security=server is the only possibility to go without that,
but please be aware that security=server is really highly
deprecated and might have suffered from bit-rot recently.

Volker